Monday, June 16, 2008

"growing mushroom" in Bintulu again....

Another outing to Bintulu today. I have been to this small town a few times already, and most of the time, my official duties are completed around noon. But thanks to the very limited air services, I have to "grow mushroom" in Bintulu for around 5 hours or more before my flight back to Kuching. No difference today.

After my meeting, a colleague of mine from Miri dropped me off at Parkcity Mall, a modern shopping complex here. After checking out the food at the food court, I decided to have my lunch elsewhere and ended up at Marrybrown. Then I realized that it's a WIFI zone here. Lucky me. The number of mushrooms will be lesser this time. At least I can reply mails, read blogs and stuffs online. And now I'm blogging "live" from Bintulu's Marrybrown at Parkcity Mall.

Let me just describe my surrounding now. Though this is the most modern shopping complex here in Bintulu, the crowd is really scarce. Right in front of me a bunch of direct selling promoters hang around, approaching everyone passing by to take a look at their cooking pots, stove, water filter, etc., but most people will just try to walk pass as fast as possible to avoid them. But they spend most of their time sitting around talking to one another. Retail shopkeepers just sitting/standing in their respective shop chatting to fellow shopkeepers or looking around out of boredom. Wonder what's on their mind. Most of them must be thinking how long more before they can go home. One thing I'm very sure of now is that the shopkeepers easily outnumber the patrons here in the whole complex.

Just realized that some travelers are sitting a few tables behind me with their laptops on as well, and enjoying the free WIFI. I think I'll see these people again tonite at the airport. Looks like day-trip traveler like me.

Thought of calling two of my friends working here. One a teacher and the other one with Shell. But they too are busy people so better don't bother them. The one with Shell is surely busy with work, but the teacher is either having tuition class or sleeping. That's the only two things I normally hear her doing most of the time.

I'll continue observing my surrounding here and at the same time write a few memos and letters for work tomorrow.



Note: "growing mushroom" does not mean me planting mushroom. It's just another way of expressing the situation when someone is "stagnant" and having nothing to do. Like a piece of bread left on a table to rot/decompose.

2 comments:

WillyzPortico.com said...

Sorry to leave you 'Growing Mushroom' at ParkCity MarryBrown. Hope i'm not the guy who you mentioned as 'the one working with Shell'...haahahaa...Cheers.

Snap no Stevun® said...

Chor boh....= grow mushrooms