Wednesday, June 4, 2008

End of long holiday...

Got back to Kuching this afternoon. The few days spent in Singapore are fruitful, particularly the medical checkup for baby as we managed to find some answers to those uncertainties we were facing. We also managed to survey some items that we need to buy for our move to Liverpool. The Great Singapore Sale is now on until July, but certain things are still expensive. Bought only a few stuffs and planned to survey the other items in KL soon before we decide where to buy.

A shopkeeper tried to cheat me when I was surveying a camera accessory for a friend. That damn fellow tried to sell me the thing for S$70 when it is worth much less than RM70. There’s no price tag on the product packing and therefore the fellow tried his luck to cut my throat. Luckily my friend had told me that if it’s more than RM50, don’t buy. All the while I thought Singapore is free from this kind of tactic.

Got the news on my way back home that the govt has announced a price hike for petrol and diesel effective midnight. This time the hike is drastic compared to previous occasions. All the petrol stations are jammed, and the queues are so long, causing traffic jams everywhere. I told my wife that we’ll have to cut down our daily after-dinner outing and plan our routes properly in order to reduce the use of petrol for her car and diesel for mine. But I wonder how long would it last. After a while, we’ll get used to the price and slowly will not even realize how much it costs. The funny thing about this round of price hike is that while charging more for petrol and diesel, the govt is “giving” something back in return in the form of cash rebate and road tax deduction. It is just like putting money into one pocket and giving money out from another pocket at the same time. There must be a logical explanation for this. Will have to read more about it.

Read from The Star on the price hike

Going back to work early tomorrow morning. Holiday’s over.

No comments: